Wednesday, November 11, 2009

빼빼로 day 2, Electric Boogaloo

I AM THE QUEEN OF 빼빼로, BOW DOWN BEFORE ME.


Not really, but holy God, today I received more 빼빼로 than I could possibly eat in one sitting. I also shared some with my students but now I'm wired and will never, ever sleep.

In my last two classes, I tried to explain that today is a much more serious day at home. My sixth grade class couldn't care less; my fifth grade class was astonished.

"No 빼빼로?!" they cried incredulously.
"Nope. We don't eat 빼빼로 in America [minus the people who buy Pocky from Suncoast Video]. There is no 빼빼로 day."
"America, black day?"
"No, no Black Day."
"No White Day?"
And since White Day is 3/14, I tried to explain Pi Day to them, but nothing doing. "No, no White Day," I finished lamely.
There was a growing amount of concern on the girls' faces. "Valentine's Day?!"
"Yes, yes, we have Valentine's Day."
"Phew!" They looked relieved. "What day Valentine's Day?"
"Same as in Korea."
"Ah, okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment