Tuesday, March 13, 2012

You Encounter: A Guy On Your Walk Home

A couple Fridays ago I went out for farewell drinks with a friend of mine who has since left Korea. A good time was had by all, and I went home in a pleasant mood. Pyeonghwa-ro was mostly abandoned by this hour, and for the longest time I didn't see a single soul.

Until I ran into a young, tall, slim fellow by the GS gas station near my officetel. He briefly made eye contact, but didn't say anything until after we had passed each other. I only caught his "hello" because it came in between songs on my mp3 player. I took out my headphones and turned around.

"Hi!" I replied.

"Are you lost?"

"No, I'm going home."

"Ah." Pause, thinking. "What's your name?"

"Kat!"

"Ah." More pause. More thinking. "Are you single?"

"Nope!"

"Ah." One last pause. "Good night."

"Good night!"

I'm annoyed at myself for having this conversation in English when I could have easily handled it in Korean.

I wonder how often this guy tries to chat up girls on their way home from bars. I wonder how successful it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment