Monday, March 19, 2012

Multimedia Monday: Mick Jagger

This post is straight-up useless, but for me this is particularly relevant.

The latest fad at my hagwon is Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger." I've mentioned before that a lot of the curriculum with lower-level students at my school is based on English language pop music. Even with the advanced students, we (both myself and the Korean teachers) will play a song or two to kill some extra time in class. "Moves Like Jagger" is one that's been popular lately.

"What's Jagger? What is that? Who is that?"

"Dancer!" one girl suggested. Which, I mean really, is not that far off the mark.

"Ehh, almost."

"Singer?" she tried again.

"You got it."

I tested the waters to see if they knew which band, but no. I told them it was a band from England and the only answer I got was The Beatles. Cue my School of Rock inner fantasy.

Just to provide them some amount of context for the song, we're watching this montage of young Mick Jagger. Not the whole thing, mind you, I think the first thirty seconds ought to do the trick.


I already showed this to one class because they had been singing "Moves Like Jagger" when I came in. Since we finished early, I decided to be lazy and see how they'd react to this. We had the same discussion I just quoted above, more or less, and then I opened the file.

"This is Mick Jagger," I explained.

The revulsion was palpable. "Teacher, stop!" the most vocal student pleaded. I obliged.

"You don't like it?"

"No, it's very old. I like Green Day, like Basket Case. And American Idiot. And Holiday."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine!

    I'm a writer for the travel site VagabondJourney.com, and I write monthly columns on Korea for the site. Would you be willing to answer some interview questions for my upcoming article about what it's like to teach in Korea? If so, please e-mail me at deathforest [at] gmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete