Monday, February 27, 2012

Multimedia Monday: Tron

This one is definitely a bit of a stretch, I'll be the first to admit. Mostly I'm posting it because it got an overwhelmingly positive reaction in my most cynical, hard-to-please class. I really wasn't expecting that at all when I showed it; I went into it thinking it would be a dud. Mostly I just showed it because I figured they had never seen or heard of Tron (which they hadn't) and because I thought they might at least be amused by how different it looks from computer animation now. But no, we actually watched it twice.

If you're wondering why I'm showing scenes from Tron in class, it's because the chapter in their textbook is on CGI and movie special effects. There's not really much you can do with this scene ESL-wise; you can probably play Twenty Questions about where they think the guy is and who he's racing. Otherwise, I think it's best saved for an end-of-class time filler or mid-class "brain break."




If you want to save this or any YouTube video offline, I recommend YouTube Downloader HD. For other (and honestly, better) videos, there's always my other Multimedia Monday posts.

2 comments:

  1. I think it holds up pretty well, actually. I'd watch the original Tron before I'd ever want to see the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I can't stand Tron, but that may be because of the circumstances under which I viewed it. (It's been long enough that it merits a re-screening.) There's certainly been worse-aged CGI, I'll agree. Here I'm thinking of the show ReBoot; looking up clips for that instantly killed any and all nostalgia I had for the show.

      Delete