Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What I've Learned From Editing Student Speeches

There is an English speech competition soon, and part of my duties as native speaker include editing (and later recording into cell phones) students' speeches. These contests happen periodically within school districts; this one is a national tournament, so far as I can judge from the poster in the hallway.

Here are some thing I've learned, whether about Korea or my students, silly or serious, from editing past and present speeches:


  • Pollution is basically to blame for every evil that befalls us in this modern age.
  • My elementary school students have more focused ambitions, dreams, and goals than I did at their age. Heck, they have more of them than I do now.
  • Hangeul is the greatest thing ever.
  • Except maybe for bibimbap, which releases poisons from the body and also cures asthma and diabetes.
  • Korea's brand of oriental medicine is the best in the world.
  • 동의보감 was put on UNESCO's "Memory of the World" register in 2009.
  • Korea should be one country again.

No comments:

Post a Comment