Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Birdland Incident

There's a jazz club in downtown Uijeongbu. I had walked by it loads of times but never screwed up the nerve to go in until I had scant few months remaining in Korea. We all make mistakes; this was one I wish I hadn't made. I will miss it dearly when I leave.

I went last night with a few friends, two guys and one other girl. The guys and I are somewhat regulars, and in a country full of Koreans it's pretty easy to remember the weiguk sarams that keep coming back. The musicians always chat with us a bit, or say hello if they see us on the street. The girl with us, on the other hand, had never been before.

At the end of the night, I complimented the singer on her rendition of "Fever," a song I had requested a few months ago but that they didn't have.

"Thank you, I did it for you!"

Which warmed my heart.

Then she turned to the other girl. "You, I think you must be a good singer. Your face is so beautiful!"

Heart dimmed, just a bit.

2 comments:

  1. What is the name of the club and where is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anonymous! The club is called "Birdland," it's in Uijeongbu's downtown pedestrian walkway. Maybe five minutes away from Uijeongbu station?

      It's a good club, but honestly if you live in Seoul it would probably be easier to find a place in Apgujeong or similar.

      Delete